Friday, April 15, 2011

Suzy Wongs House of Yum

Suzy Wong's House of Yum is easily one of my top 5 restaurants in Nashville so when I heard they were starting a new $5 Happy Hour on their Patio, I was as good as there. The weather was perfect as 13 of my friends and I gathered last night in the posh outdoor dining area to see what this new HH had to offer.


We started off with cocktails, specifically the featured HH drinks which were White or Red Sangria and a Sake Mimosa ($5 each). The drinks were delicious, beautiful, and most importantly potent. While these were the only HH specials, they were the perfect compliment to the setting and menu and worth the drive down Church Street.



We ordered a few small plates for the table to share including the Chicken Katsu Bites with a peanut and hot sauce ($9 and my personal fave), Vegetable Spring Rolls ($5), and the Crunchy Shrimp & Avocado Maki ($9). We also ordered a few Yum bowls, which are generous, made to share size portions of inspired Asian fare, and like everything else here, they did not disappoint. Between the small plates and Yum Bowls, Peanut Sauce Chicken Penang ($10) and Sweet & Sour Chicken w/ Crispy Noodles ($10), no one (except my beautiful dieting friend, Michelle) left hungry.


As we were leaving after the 5+ hour experience (our choice to stay so long, not a reflection on the speed of the service) we caught a glimpse of the conceptual genius, owner, and Top Chef contestant, Arnold Myint, sitting at the bar. As a fan of the show and all of his restaurant endeavors in Nashville (ChaChah and PM), it took a great amount of restraint not to run up and hug him, while squealing like a schoolgirl about how much I adore all of his work! Arnold has become a local celebrity but it is refreshing to know that he is still so involved with his local restaurants.





Suzy Wong's became a routine stop in my Nashville dining experience after just one visit. This is where I take the people I love when they come to town because while the flavor may not be what you associate with tourist Nashville, everything about Suzy's represents the true Nashville that makes me proud to live here.

Ratings for Suzy Wong's House of Yum: (1-10 scale)
Ambiance - 9       (Inside or Out)
HH Specials - 6   
Flavor - 10
Overall - 9.5

Cheers!

Suzy Wong's House of Yum on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment